Monday 11 January 2010

Presentations.

The final two weeks of our teaching in this module were dedicated to presentations. Performing them as well as observing them. I have learnt a lot from doing both. My group was the first one to go, which I was pleased about since that meant being able to watch the others and actually being able to pay attention while doing so instead of nervously going through my own piece in my head repeatedly. The first challenge we came across as a group was the extended length of our presentation. After timing ourself a number of times when rehearsing, we realised we needed to leave out some of our material. And even after doing so, we still went over the allocated time by about four minutes. I would have liked the room in which we had our presentations to have a clock on the wall which you could keep an eye one as a reminder of how quickly the minutes do pass in that situation. I also think that it would have helped to get started on looking up, out in the room, and at the audience. I was very nervous but I found that my colleagues listening to my groups presentation were very helpful simply by showing up and listening actively. The way this presentation differed to the other more informal ones was that everyone listening seemed to be doing so more actively which made it more fun I thought. Also, another point about extending the 10 minutes which was the set limit for our presentations is that since most of the other groups talks were a lot longer than ours, it made our presentation seem short and not as detailed as the others. Again, I think a clock possibly would have prevented that.

No comments:

Post a Comment